Many, many years ago Twiggy and sought out this fabulous cafe in New Zealand called Zarbo. It still exists, I’m not sure if it has the same owners or not, but hopefully it does as it was a delicious spot to eat. We purchased their self titled cookbook and it’s been our go-to resource for fabulous salads and the like ever since. In it is one of my most favourite salads and I go through stages of eating lots of it and then taking a break from it, before eating lots of it again. It’s perfect for summer and is a stand alone meal.
This simple salad is a firm favourite at our house. We’ve tweaked it a bit to suit us.
Ingredients and method
– Cook about 2 cups of risoni (drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper). Let it cool.
– Blanch 2 to 3 cups of broad beans and remove their skins.
For the dressing
– 1 small clove of garlic (crushed)
– 1 heaped teaspoon of fresh rosemary (super finely chopped)
– 2 level teaspoons of tomato paste
– one third of a cup of vinegar (mix red vinegar and balsamic vinegar together for depth of flavour)
– big dash of olive oil
In one big bowl add:
– the cooked risoni and the shelled broad beans
– 1/2 cup of capers (rinse if in brine or salt)
– 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
– 1/2 cup of finely chopped, flat leaf parsley
– 1 cup of Danish feta ( I actually like to add more, but it’s up to you)
– pour over the dressing and mix well.
THEN GET IT IN YOUR BELLY
I love summer because salads are my favourite. Do you have one you keep coming back to over and over?