I got myself into a bit of a funk this week. I struggled to break out of a downward spiral of negativity. I had a severe case of low self confidence, withering self esteem and stupid “woe-is-me-itis”.
I popped this up on Facebook and Instagram.
And I got a heap of wonderful responses and tips to find my happy again. I am so grateful to everyone who offered up their awesome advice. It really helped and I wanted to share some of it with you because let’s face it, this time of year can be overwhelming. Just ask my mates at Champagne Cartel who wrote this fab piece, Sonia Styling who also talked about similar feelings in this awesome post and my cousin Kirsty who has a lot on her plate at the moment.
For me, it’s about giving myself a swift kick up the butt and getting on with it.
7 ways to boost your mood:
1) Read. It might be inspirational quotes or a good book. It might be jokes on someone’s Pinterest board. I like to jump in bed with my Kindle and read romance comedy novels.
2) Buy yourself a lipstick. Simple. but true. Or buy someone else a treat to help lift their mood, which in turn will also lift yours.
3) Organise a catch up with friends or ring someone on the phone or put a post up on Facebook and ask for advice – it helped me! Or maybe just go to the movies, in the middle of the day.
4) Accept responsibility for your own mood and then do something about it. Sitting around wallowing in your own misery will do absolutely nothing to help.
5) Remind yourself what your strengths are. Write a list of all your positive attributes. Focus on your awesomeness.
6) Eat chocolate. Bake a cake. Brew some tea. Have a glass of wine. Make a delicious meal. Eat self saucing pudding for dinner.
7) Get out into the sunshine. Go for a walk. Ride your bike. Run. Have a swim in the ocean (not me because I hate sharks). Go roller skating. Just get out of the house and breath in some fresh air. Clear your head.
DON’T JUST SIT THERE – DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
I ended up going for a walk by myself in the neighbourhood. I wandered down to the local shops, got some presents for friends and a little something for myself. Then I took some direct action to sort out my issues, followed by a delicious bowl of wonton soup with Twiggy. And last but not least a big cuddle with my kids.
I’m feeling a whole lot better. I do not have thick skin. It’s a fact. But I do like ice cream and a big glass of wine.
I hope you’re having a great week and are not suffering from a case of self doubt or feeling overwhelmed. And if you are, then please imagine me reaching out right now and giving you a huge hug.
Oh such lovely tips! Numbers 6 and 7 are my favourites. I’m pleased you’re feeling better. Sending you a big hug right back!
group hug x
Oh hun, the best thing we can do when we feel this way is to reach out. So glad you’re feeling much happier and I love your game plan – so many fantastic tips there. Thank you for linking to me and for being such an ace friend. x
Brilliant! Some very simple and awesome tips there that I hadn’t thought of. But 1, 2, 3 and 7 are definitely things I do when I am down in the dumps!! Thank you so much for the linky link too beautiful girl!
No 2 is good. Lipstick does brighten your mood. A spray of French (or your favourite) perfume also gives you an instant lift.
Oh yes, perfume too!
For me a swim in the ocean is so bloody good for the brain. Ocean swim training with Can Too is on and I can’t believe how much better I feel mentally. Thank goodness after last term’s bout of real anxiety – a shock to the system. Also I find baking very therapeutic… especially alone when kids are at school…. the best.
I wish I wasn’t so scared about sharks, but I love the pool. Sounds like you love it x