I’m going to let you in on something – sometimes I find little things immeasurably more exciting than they actually are. To prove it I’ve written you a list.
10 Small Things That Make My Day
1) When I wake up in the middle of the night and I think it’s time to get up and it isn’t and I go back to sleep again. It makes me think I’ve had two sleeps. Like I’m catching up on all the sleep I lost when having babies.
2) When I use my last med on the last day of my period. Like I planned it out perfectly.
3) When I go to put a cup away in the cupboard and it is exactly lined up with all the other cups, with the handles facing in the same direction. Spine tingling.
4) When I go to the doctors for my pap smear and she reminds me that I’m not due for another six months and for the first time in ages I have a neatly trimmed lady garden without having a stranger poking around down there.
5) When I make a cake and there’s leftover batter and the kids are at school and I don’t have to share it with anyone, yet still I decide cup cakes are better so I can eat even more batter.
6) When I go to buy a top I’ve had my eye on and it’s on sale. So I buy the top, a pair of pants, a new necklace, a scarf and dress.
7) When I think I’ve run out of clean undies and find a pair hiding in my kids’ underwear drawer, thus delaying my need to wash any clothes by another day.
8) When I feed my kids’ dinner and they actually eat it without complaining. Like eat it all up without picking bits out or whinging or fighting with each other or “accidentally” dropping it on the ground. Like eating it all with their mouths. And they put their dishes in the sink afterwards. And then I wonder – are these my children or clones?
9) When I’m writing an article for a client and go to check the word count and it’s exactly perfect.
10) When I go to hang the washing out and my husband’s already done it. Same goes for emptying the dishwasher. Cleaning is boring and soul crushing.
These are just some of the small things that can turn my day around. You need to look to the little moments to be grateful for. Little twinges of joy in what might be a crappy day.
What are some of the little things that make you disproportionately happy?
It’s totally the little things and yours is an awesome list. I like it when I go to the chocolate tin which I think is empty but find one last pack of M and Ms waiting just for me. Or when I come home to find the bin emptied itself (or more miraculously hubby emptied it without being asked.) And when I find a winning scratchy in my purse that hasn’t been redeemed (even if it is only $2!) Oh and the pictures you’ve been posting on Instagram. They make me happy too 🙂
M&m’s for the win!! And you know what else makes me happy – YOU xx
So far 10 small things that I am grateful for today;
1. My music on shuffle & it picks exactly what I feel like listening to as the first song.
2. The ladies at the Channel counter in DJ’s not being at the counter so I could spray the testers with gay abandon & not be harrased.
3. My son sharing his piggy bank Monet with his sister for tuckshop because I had no change.
4. Even though I left home later than usual & had to get petrol we still scraped it into school before 1st bell by getting an unheard of rock star park out the front.
5. I had one of those pleasurable double sleeps that you mentioned.
6. It’s Friday
7. The sun is shining & a breeze is blowing so I can do the mountains of washing that I haven’t done this week.
8. I made my bed this morning so each time I walk past my room today I can give myself that smug feeling of being organised. (This obviously isn’t the case everyday otherwise it wouldn’t be such a novelty)
9. No kids parties or sport this weekend so we have the weekend to do as we please.
10. When I asked the dog to drop the rock he had in his mouth he did, which meant I didn’t have to use my fingers to retrieve it.
Well there’s 10 – towards the end I had to think a bit harder – but they are things I’m grateful for none-the-less. Enjoy your day.
I LOVE your list! Ockham star parks, sunny days and freshly made beds are the best x
I wrote out my top 10 and happily found that nearly all the things that make me happy are all related to the things that seem to be the biggest challenges in my life.
1. When my husband fills the car up with petrol. It’s like buying me flowers.
2. When it is sunny enough to wash, dry and fold the washing in one day.
3. When my son calls out to me at night, I help him to roll over, and he whispers “Thank you mummy,” and goes back to sleep.
4. When I leave work with an empty inbox.
5. When someone else orders the food and doesn’t mind asking ‘what’s in it?’ and checking for my tricky dietary requirements.
6. When I complete my supermarket shopping without having to double back to an aisle I was already in.
7. When I have a day with no appointments.
8. When I see my daughter eating berries, red juice dripping down her chin.
9.When i get in the car after rushing around to get ready for a trip away and know I just HAVE TO sit still for a few hours.
10. When I lay in bed and realise I’ve forgotten to take my glasses off because I can see the stars through my window.
What a super awesome list! I am so with you re the petrol and seeing the stars x
Gorgeous. One of mine is opening the fridge to debate what to make for lunch and finding the one I prepared the night before (and had forgotten about).
Yes I love that too!!
#10. I just came home to that with the dishwasher today. Felt so good! I love it when I think my favourite spoon and coffee cup are dirty but there they are, in the cupboard and drawer all nice and sparkly clean, just waiting to be used.
First of all you are the only other person besides my mum I’ve ever heard use the term ” med”. That made me smile.
A few things for me are-
Having my teenager say ” thanks mum” without him being reminded to.
Seeing the first flowers on a tomato plant.
Having both babies go down for a nap at the same time!
When one of my kids asks me to cook/bake something. It means they really do like my cooking ( and so they should, I’m bloody good at it!)
Any time someone subscribes to my blog. I’m still so new to blogging so it’s still such a thrill that someone reads my stuff.
Getting a good morning text from my husband.
I just subscribed to your blog! Can’t believe I hadn’t earlier. And yes, the first flowers on a tomato plant are awesome. And people sending other cake ; )
Oh thanks for subscribing to my blog! That makes me really happy & yep, sending people cake makes me happy too (even when it causes lots of people to say nice things about me & get me all embarrassed). Cake is a happiness maker x
Love 7 and 8. I would add someone suggesting something for dinner (other than spaghetti) so I don’t have to come up with something; waking up and finding that none of the girls have wet their beds so I don’t have to wash the sheets again; the girls doing their own hair in the morning, I don’t care what it looks like, and managing to get ready early in the mornings so I don’t have to go all crazy, that last one has me singing happy songs in the car all the way to work.
I completely understand the bed wetting. GAH! And the coming up with food for everyone to eat every day x
Great lists, everyone… I love this time of year when the day’s heat starts to dissipate and a balmy breeze takes its place, signally summer is coming and almost anything is possible… it never fails to inspire optimism… either that or I am easily pleased!
oh my gosh, so do I. I love a balmy breeze on warm night.x
Number 1 for sure. That is the BEST feeling ever. Also when you wake up on the weekend, think it’s a weekday and then the joy as you realise nope it’s actually the weekend and you can roll over and go back to sleep.
Oh man! What a list!
I remember coming home from the Gold Coast for ProBlogger… My husband had done the washing, cleaned the house, cooked dinner and had a bottle of wine ready to be opened and enjoyed.
That was a good day.
Oh I love small joys – here are some of mine:
1. When the shower is just the right temperature. That’s a winning feeling.
2. Clean kitchen benches. Not deep cleansed, but crumb free.
3. Seeing blue skies as I brush my teeth in the morning.
4. Waking up and looking at the clock and the time being an even number.
5. Better tasting next day leftovers. So good.
6. A visit from my #favouritehuman which includes her drawing a picture of me.
7. Just looking around my space, knowing it is how I want it to look (condition of walls and paint notwithstanding).
8. When my nose tells me the baking is ready, and it is.
9. Standing at the Hills Hoist, sunshine on my face.
10. Stretching in my bed, turning over for more sleep.
The simple stuff, it’s the best!!